• Blog >
  • Avoid These Easter Hazards to Help Keep Pets Safe
RSS Feed

Avoid These Easter Hazards to Help Keep Pets Safe

Avoid These Easter Hazards to Help Keep Pets Safe

For such a bright, colorful and joyous spring holiday, Easter can be quite toxic and dangerous for pets. Baskets can be filled with toxic chocolates and foil-wrapped goodies, some of the most beautiful plants are potentially lethal to pets and common decorations can be extremely hazardous.

In effort to help pet owners prepare for the festivities this weekend, we’ve outlined a few of the most common hazards for pets so that you can safely enjoy your weekend – and hopefully some spring weather!

The contents of the Easter basket.

Easter baskets are stocked with goodies, but some of those treats can be dangerous when ingested by pets. Chocolate is very dangerous to both dogs and cats – but especially dogs that are more attracted to the smell. Dark and bitter chocolates are more toxic than milk chocolate, but both can be toxic when consumed by pets.

Not only is the chocolate content of treats dangerous in the baskets, the foil wrappings they are in is also bad for pets when ingested. Even when the chocolate is gone, the wrappers still smell appealing to pets and can obstruct your pet if swallowed.

The spring-y decorations.

The grass-like plastic that is not only added to Easter baskets but decorations around the home can be dangerous when swallowed. The grass can wrap around the intestines and can very quickly turn into an emergency surgery to untangle and remove.

Perhaps the most dangerous of the Easter season is lilies. These commonly gifted and decorative plants are extremely toxic to pets, especially to cats. All components of this plant, from leaves to the petals, can be lethal when ingested or cause serious kidney issues. We recommend not keeping any lilies in your house if you’re a pet owner as the side effects are so severe if cats in particular come in contact with them.

The food ingredients to Easter feasts.

Garlic, onions and chives, which are common cooking ingredients, are potentially toxic to pets. When ingested, they can cause upset stomachs, vomiting and abdominal pains.

Should your pet need emergency care this Easter season, please give Animal Hospital of Woodstock a call. We hope that bringing these hazards to light can help pet owners prepare accordingly and have a health pet and peace of mind this Easter holiday season. Enjoy the festivities and happy Easter from the staff at AHOW!

Welcome to the Animal Hospital of Woodstock

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Monday:

8:00 am

9:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am

9:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am

9:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am

9:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am

6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am

2:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Closed

Location

Find us on the map

Testimonials

Read What Our Clients Say

  • "I cannot stress how awesome the entire staff is at Animal Hospital of Woodstock. We are new patients of this office and I’ve been going through random drama with my cat and his food allergies. Any time I call with a “crisis” the staff is warm and understanding all while being prompt with advice or instructions. If you are looking for a new vet I highly recommend this office. Thanks to Dr. Chris for taking such good care and concern with Watkins!"
    Erin M
  • "Thank you for your evening hours! We ran into a problem with our dog at 6:30 PM (he had something caught in his throat) and we were able to run over to our regular Vet clinic and get care. Dr. Chris was great and a big help! He even checked up on us the next morning. We've been clients for a long time, and really appreciate all of you!!"
    Julie F
  • "I needed to take my black lab to Animal Hospital of Woodstock for a echocardiogram and they were fabulous.. they brought me back to the room, brought a bowl of water for my dog, and just made us feel right at home. Staff and Drs were very friendly. I would highly recommend going here!"
    Shannon H

Newsletter Signup

Sign up for more articles

No form settings found. Please configure it.